Since 1999 the infamous Megavalanche race, which starts from the highest point on Pic Blanc (3300m) above the village of Alpe D’Huez has been synonymous with all mountain riding and the highest level of true mountain bike racing.
Conceived originally in 2009 by the development team at Nukeproof in an attempt to build the perfect bike for this exact style of racing, the Mega was born. Now in its 4th evolution, the Mega is podium proven. It has tasted success with numerous national and international race wins to its name.
Designed to excel on the toughest enduro tracks; the gravity focused specification is designed to descend fast but maintain the pedalling efficiency for all-day epics.
For 2019 Nukeproof has focussed on the smallest details in order to improve an already podium proven chassis. Making the decision to commit to a dedicated 1x drivetrain configuration across all models, this enabled its engineers to utilise the space required for a front derailleur to increase the main pivot bearing placement ensuring that maximum stiffness is achieved. This additional stiffness prevents torsional flex under pedalling and helps the chassis track through high speed, rough terrain without compromise.
With stiffness in mind, Nukeproof took the time to incorporate the very latest Boost 148 rear axle spacing allowing it to spec much stiffer and stronger wheels both front and rear. All 2019 Nukeproof Mega models will come with new wider spaced Boost wheels and forks enabling the rider to feel even more confident on the increased capability of the bike.
Updated Race Geometry
With the demands of Enduro World Series racers progressing at a rapid rate, Nukeproof looked again at its geometry and saw an opportunity to tailor the frames to suit not only the fastest racers, but the growing tribe of riders that utilise its bikes every weekend whether that be shuttling runs at their favourite bike park, or heading off for an all-day epic in the local hills.
Slightly taller head tube lengths help tailor the cockpit feel to increase rider confidence, and a lengthened top tube on large and extra-large frames should help even the tallest of riders feel at home on the new Mega 290 Factory.
Metric Shock Sizing
The product development team work extremely closely with Nukeproof's suspension partners and spent endless hours working on the perfect shock configuration for the new Mega. The perfect partnership between rear shock technology and frame kinematics has always been in the very root of its thought process when developing bikes and the new Mega with its brand new ’metric’ shock standard is no different. Designed to work perfectly with both air and coil sprung rear shocks, Nukeproof has addressed some of the areas that it felt could be improved on over the previous design such as hardware improvements and higher spec shocks across the board.
The new Mega 290 Factory utilises the incredible Fox Float X2 rear shock and hardware now comprises of a wider spaced 25mmx8mm front mount. This combination adds even more stiffness to the chassis through these more secure fixtures and the ‘Metric’ rear shock system with increased bushing overlap.
Type: Full Suspension Mountain Bikes
Riding Style: Enduro
Wheel Size: 29"
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X
Item condition: New
Availability: Click & collect, Buy online
• Frame: Nukeproof Mega 290 Alloy, custom triple butted hydro-formed tube set, custom tuned rear shock configuration, internal dropper seatpost cable routing, threaded bottom bracket, boost 148mm rear axle spacing, 3D contoured frame protection
• Fork: Fox 36 Float Factory 160mm, FIT GRIP 2, Kashima, 51mm Offset
• Shock: Fox Float X2 Factory Kashima, 2 Pos lever, 210x55 (Custom Tune)
• Front Wheel: DT Swiss E1700, Spline, 30mm, 29", 15x110mm
• Rear Wheel: DT Swiss E1700, Spline, 30mm, 29", Shimano Freehub, 148x12mm
• Tyres: Michelin Wild Enduro 29" x 2.4, Gum -X TS TLR
• Crankset: Shimano XT M8000, 11-Speed, 170mm, 30T, B148, 53mm chainline
• Drivetrain: Shimano XT M8000, 11-Speed, SGS, Shadow Plus
• Cassette: Shimano SLX M7000, 11-46T
• Chain Guide: MRP 1x CS, 28-34T, ISCG-05, black
• Brakes: Shimano XT M8000, finned resin pads
• Front Rotor: Shimano RT86, 203mm
• Rear Rotor: Shimano RT86, 180mm
• Handlebars: Nukeproof Horizon AL 800mm, 25mm
• Stem: Nukeproof Horizon, 50mm, 31.8mm Clamp, black
• Saddle: Nukeproof Horizon SL, Orange
• Seatpost: RockShox Reverb Stealth; S: 390mm length, 125mm drop; M: 440mm length, 150mm drop; L/XL: 480mm length, 170mm drop
• Headset: Nukeproof Warhead, 44-56 IITS
• Grips: Nukeproof Sam Hill Signature
We aim to get your order dispatched where possible within a 24 hour period so you can expect 2 to 3 working days from time of order to delivery anywhere in Ireland. Upon shipping of your order we will provide you with tracking details via email. If there is any issues that will cause delay we will contact you and offer you an alternative or refund if you do not wish to wait. We ship using Fastway and TNT who offer a very reliable service Europe wide
Click and collect policy
We require photo ID upon collection
Exchange, Returns, and Refunds Policy
As the purchaser you are entitled to a cooling-off period of 14 days, which begins on the day that you receive the goods. You must contact us before the 14 days expire. You will be responsible for the cost of returning the goods. An indication of this cost can be gleaned from the shipping fees originally charged to you.
If the purchase you wish to cancel is a service (e.g. a bike maintenance service, a bike holiday) you have 14 days from the date of the purchase to contact The Bikerack direct, unless the service was scheduled within 14 days of you making the purchase. If this is the case at least one hour’s notice must be given (via email or telephone) to, and acknowledged by, The Bikerack.